The Eliada Home is a
youth home complex located in the Leicester neighborhood of Asheville. This
historic district includes the early administrative, residential and
agricultural buildings of the home as well as associated sites that include a
residence, a tabernacle site, a log guest cabin and cemetery. Eliada Home is in
a parklike setting with concrete walks and shade trees, and is situated on a
Eliada Home was founded by Lucius B. Compton as a refuge for unwed mothers in
1903. The first facility was “Faith Cottage” on Atkinson Street in Asheville.
The children’s home was established in 1906, with buildings on the property
dating back to 1907, and is still in operation today.
Main Building (NRHP)
2 Compton Dr.
The main building is a two-and-a half story, five-course
American-bond brick structure that originally served as a dormitory
and was used also for administration, food processing (canning) and
as an outlet store for excess clothing and as a chapel. The exterior
style is Colonial Revival and Foursquare-inspired, and was designed
by architect Thomas E. Davis. Located behind the Main Building and
accessible down a short gravel drive is the most impressive of the
struc-tures at Eliada Home, the Dairy Barn.
Dairy Barn (NRHP)
This magnificent barn was built between 1930 and 1931 and is a
two-level, six course American-bond brick building with room for
forty dairy cows on the fireproof first level and machinery and
tools on the second level. The barn was used for milk production and
the motto “Eliada Dairy, Pure Bred Guernseys” was originally painted
on the west side of the roof. This has been replaced with the motto
“Eliada Home Outlet Barn,” indicating its use as a retail outlet
since the late 1970s.
Location: Downtown Asheville
Address: 20 Compton Drive, Asheville NC 28816
Directions: To reach Eliada Home, take Patton Avenue
west from Asheville and turn right onto Leicester Highway.
Turn right again onto Compton Drive. Eliada Home is at the
end of Compton Drive.