To purchase a print of this drawing by author/artist
Lee Pantas, visit
Cherry Orchard Studio
Public Market was
the dream of E.W. Grove, a self-made millionaire who moved to Asheville in the
early 1900s, where he conceived of the Arcade as “the most elegant building in
America,” and as a new type of retail center. When the Arcade opened in 1929, it
quickly became home to a collection of local shops and services. For 13 years,
the Arcade was the major commercial and civic center in Western North Carolina.
The Federal Government took over the building in 1942, following America’s entry
into World War II, evicting all retail and office tenants. Following the war’s
end, the Arcade continued under Federal ownership.
In 1992 a group of community leaders and concerned citizens
formed the Grove Arcade Public Market Foundation, a non-profit organization. In
that same year, the Federal Government announced plans to build a new facility.
Three years later it was completed and in 1997 the City of Asheville acquired
title to the Grove Arcade under the National Monument Act. The U.S. General
Services Administration formally gave the building to the City of Asheville at
no cost, and a 198-year lease was promptly signed with the Foundation at $1.00
per year. The revitalized Grove Arcade now features over 50 specialty stores,
restaurants, offices and apartments and is open to the public daily. Check out
the great stone griffins that guard the north entrance!
Location: The Arcade is located just west of Haywood Street and the Civic
Center in downtown
Asheville, an easy walk
10-minute from Pack Square.
Directions: From Pack Square proceed east on Patton Avenue, turn left
onto Haywood Street and then left onto Battery Park. The Arcade will be ahead on
Parking: Parking Garages are marked in gold and will be found on Otis
Street (Wall Street Parking Garage), off Haywood Street or Rankin Avenue (Civic
Center Parking Garage), and Rankin Avenue (Rankin Parking Garage). The first
hour is free from 10am-7pm M-F.